Monday, February 29, 2016

The Kerfed Lining

I cut the kerfing on the lining this weekend.  It is used to hold the sound board and back board to the rim.  The lining is cut or "kerfed" so that it easily can be bent around the rim.  I made a  3/8" x 3/8" strip of walnut on the table saw and then used the band saw at a 45 degree angle to cut the strip in half diagonally.  This will give me the two strips of lining I need for the mandolin.  I then used the jig I made to cut the kefing into the strips of lining.

The jig is simply a board attached to a guild the fits into the table saw miter gauge slot.  The board on top is a backing board for the lining to rest against while cutting the kerf slots.  I am ready to glue the lining in once I an dome gluing up the rim.
  

Kerfing Jig





No comments:

Post a Comment