Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Side Bending (with Video)




I cut four 1/8X 1 7/16” x 30” strips of maple and spent the evening testing my bending iron……and I broke every single piece!  I used a spray bottle to wet the front and back of the first strip.  My first bend did pretty good but it cracked in a couple of spots.  I tried less water on the next attempt and they snapped right away.  I also experimented only wetting one side with no luck.  There were a few flat spots as well and will have to try bending straps next time. 
As my strips dwindled, I tried wetting a rag and draped it over the hot iron and tried bending the maple on top of the rag.  I think with bending straps and the hot rag technique, I may have better luck the next go around.  I now have a pile of useless bent maple.  It looks like remnants of an angry John McEnroe temper tantrum. 
I will also try thinner strips and bring down to just under 1/8".  I may try soaking the strips first for 5 of 10 minutes and see if that helps.  



My 2nd go around was a but more successful,  but I still ended up with another pile of kindling.  I am getting closer and feel a bit more optimistic than my last attempt.















No comments:

Post a Comment